turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return Refund different on cover sheet and in turbotax than on the actual form.

We filed our original federal form owed and paid $253.00 The IRS accepted it. I decided to deposit $7000.00 into my IRA before the deadline and amend the return which changed it to a federal refund of $1570.00 at the top of turbotax and its also on the cover sheet. When looking at the actual federal form it shows a refund of $1240.00 I don't know what to do now. If it's supposed to be one or the other? Thanks! for any help... Nick

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Amended return Refund different on cover sheet and in turbotax than on the actual form.

Ok looking at the 1040 X amended return the correct amount is on that form, but there is also a second plain1040 form following the 1040 X in the packet with the $1240.00 refund amount on it. That is the one that confused me. What is that for? Does it have to be signed, or just sign the 1040 X? I don't understand why the second one is there or what it is for.. It has the $7000.00 deposit on it too... Thanks! for any help... Nick

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

The 1040X probably will be different from the refund amount. 

• The 1040X represents the tax return combining both the original and amended tax return.
  • The refund amount represents only the changes that occured after you started the amended return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!, When I printed it out a second plain1040 is in there after the 1040x There are signature places on both. Do I just sign the 1040x or both? Thanks!.. Nick

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Just the 1040x is signed and then mailed with all forms that changed due to the correction -except the 1040 itself.

Be sure to mail with tracking to ensure the safe arrival of your information. You can track your amended return usually about 3 weeks after mailing it, see track an amended return.

Thank you Amy. You are saying I would keep that extra 1040 that printed out with this? Just want to be sure so my amended return doesn't get rejected. If I would have just signed it and sent it per the instructions they would have gotten it anyway.. Thanks!.... 🙂 Nick

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You should only mail IRS Form 1040X and the supporting schedule(s) that have changed.  The 1040 had not changed, so you do not have to attach it.  You should attach any 1099s, W-2s or other supporting documents that did cause you to file the amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies