turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

loyaltylove08
Returning Member

amended my return before receiving my original refund

i amended my tax return before receiving my original refund . will i still get my original refund or do i have to wait on my amended return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Well that was foolish and the program even tells you to wait ... now things could get messy and take much longer to process.   You should get the original refund first  and much later the amended amount if you completed the 1040X correctly  AND   the IRS doesn't change the original return ... in that case the amended return will most likely be rejected and/or returned to you.   All you can do now is WAIT while the IRS figures out what you did.  

loyaltylove08
Returning Member

its not foolish when the irs and the tax advocate were the ones whom told me to amend my return ...... its very foolish of you to call something else foolish when you don't know the reason it happened

It is RARE for the IRS to tell you to amend a return when the original return has not been fully processed and since you left out that Gem in the original question I gave the most likely answer since this year many are jumping the gun to amend returns since the IRS has been delayed in processing the originals and of the tax law changes.   

In your situation  the time it will take to process the amended return is probably in the 6 months or longer time frame so be prepared to wait that long at least and be thrilled if it comes in sooner. 

loyaltylove08
Returning Member

its not RARE If they told me to do it , they told me to amend my return while it is still waiting to be processed . i didnt ask for any smart remarks ... all i asked was for help with something i was obviously concerned about.  thank you and enjoy the rest of your night !!!

You are right ... it is not rare it is EXTREAMLY rare, unconventional and goes against the general rules of amending   however if that is what you heard them tell you then good luck but be aware it will probably take a long time even with a taxpayer advocate in your corner.  

Your original return and your amended return will be processed separately.

The Tax Advocate can't to anything while  your returns are being processed, but gets involved only if some adjudication has been made by the IRS that you don't agree with.

There have been reports here that IRS is holding the original return and asking the taxpayer to submit an amended return.

In that case there are different opinions what you would put on your 1040-X  Overpayment (refund) line 18.

TurboTax assumes you got (or will get) your original refund.

Right dude acted like your daddy or some. “Why they figure out what you did” lol I’m sure they can figure it out. I did the same thing this year. The IRS told me I made errors on my original. And told me to amend if they were big errors which they were. So I talked to turbo tax and she told me to wait a few weeks to see if I hear something. I didn’t, so I amended. The day I filed it I received a letter in the mail stating that they adjusted it them selfs and I’d receive it on May 7th. I do realize I may have messed myself up but Google says it shouldn’t delay my original. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies