turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend return not received or acknowledged

I filed an Amended tax returned in August 2019. But IRS seems not to have received it. The amount they have I owe is from first return submitted. The amended return was done with in hours of first. Please advise. 

Thank you

Andre

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

It takes a long time to process an amended return (up to 16 weeks) and about 3 weeks from mailing just to show up in the IRS system. Have you tried tracking it with the IRS tool? See below.

Where's My Amended Return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

It takes a long time to process an amended return (up to 16 weeks) and about 3 weeks from mailing just to show up in the IRS system. Have you tried tracking it with the IRS tool? See below.

Where's My Amended Return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You amended right after you filed the original return?  You should always wait to amend until the original return is fully processed and you got the first refund or paid the tax due.

Did you mail the amended 1040X?  

Amended returns can only be mailed.  It can take them 16 weeks for the IRS to process them.  And they only mail checks for refunds.   After 3 weeks you can track it here,    https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

If you owed on the original return did you pay the balance due ?  

You say you amended it right away ... so did you actually complete the amendment process ?  Or did you only make changes and tried to resubmit the return ?   If you did resubmit the return did it reject as it should have ?   Or did you just not mail in the amended return ? 

Did you save a PDF of the original return ?   And the amended return ?   If not when you download the PDF now do you see a form 1040X in the package ?  

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

And you still have to pay the first tax due.  Then the Amended return is only for the difference you get back.  The amended return assumes you paid the original tax due.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies