Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Although I filed my taxes through Turbotax for tax year 2020, the IRS claims they have not received my return. How can I verify turbotax has truly sent it to them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Although I filed my taxes through Turbotax for tax year 2020, the IRS claims they have not received my return. How can I verify turbotax has truly sent it to them?

Did the IRS send you a letter that says they did not receive your 2020 return?

There are a number of others who have received the letter from the IRS asking for a copy of the 2020 tax return.  You do not have to print all of the pages in the pdf.   All you need to print is the Form 1040 and any of the numbered pages after that.   You do not need to print worksheets, etc.   So it will not be very many pages to mail.   You have your cancelled check or credit card record that proves you paid your tax due.   Keep the IRS happy by complying with their request and just mail in the tax return.  Use a mailing service like certified mail that will track it so you know they received it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0 

What do you think of the story on CNN Business about that?  they are saying not to bother respond,....the IRS is so far behind that they are suspending all of those notices now  (but can't stop all those already out), and they can't even deal with your response if you do send one.

IRS to temporarily stop sending many taxpayer notices - CNN

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain Thanks!   I had not read that one!   I have been seeing users here who are getting the letters.  So....just another IRS mess.....

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The problem is, what do we to properly advise the "users". 

The article is not an official document from the IRS :  but reading this on the IRS's actual News page, it gets complicated, as some of the notices may be valid???   Sheesh !  Always exceptions:

IRS continues work to help taxpayers; suspends mailing of additional letters | Internal Revenue Serv...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

A little more background. I got a mysterious letter informing me that I had a $1950 credit with the IRS - the EXACT amount my 2020 PAYMENT check was for...and in the letter, it states that they have not received my return. I personally mailed a hand signed personal check - and it's been deposited / cashed by the IRS... but somehow Turbotax electronic filing of my return didn't reach them - or there's some OTHER SNAFU. What I REALLY want - is for turbotax to send it AGAIN - because I have other things to do with my money and time, then sent certified envelopes, after I've PAID turbotax for this whole party!

@paulwegweiser E-filing is permanently closed for 2020 returns---so you want something that cannot be done.  Read the article referenced above.   Apparently there has been some sort of problem at the backlogged, short-staffed, underfunded IRS---and a lot of people have received letters about 2020 returns.  You can choose to ignore the letter---as suggested in the article----or you can mail a printed copy of your return.

@SteamTrain I have posted to the moderators to request TT guidance for this IRS issue.   And here are a couple of additional articles:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/personal-finance/susan-tompor/2022/01/28/irs-notice-why-resend-202...

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/12/23/received-confusing-tax-letter-heres-what-experts-say-you-should-do/

@paulwegweiser Another suggestion---if there is a phone number on the letter---assuming it is a CP80----call the IRS.   Or use this method to call the IRS:

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

And/or check your online account with the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Thank you ALL for such speedy and informative replies! 

The only reason I was worried, is because I have a tax attorney and accountant doing my 2021 taxes, and I was concerned that this would hold THEM up...but I'll just motor onward. 

Again - Than kyou for the thoughtful responses!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies