turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gst2

5071C Verification

I received a 5071C letter from the IRS in order to verify my identity.

In order to do this on their website (which I would prefer rather than call them) they as for either a credit hcard partial number, mortgage account number, student loan account number, auto loan number. I have none of these except that I have a debit card which can also be used as a credit card in the store or online shopping. Does anyone know if I can use this for their purpose? The small print on their instructions says they can't verify debit cards but i don't know if this applies only to debit only cards. I would prefer to use the online service so if I can use my card number it would help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

5071C Verification

What the IRS is doing is asking for information off your credit report, on the assumption that you have it and others don't.

I believe that they will also ask for past things on the credit report, not just current things.

I suggest that you get your copy of a free credit report (arranged by the FCC) at https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/get-my-free-credit-report

then go through the IRS online identity verification procedure to see if you can satisfy the process.

The credit report is free, and it's a good thing to have one once a year anyway (in case errors or fraud appear), so trying this gives you a shot at not having to grow a very long beard waiting on hold with the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies