turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2020 Path Act: Post your updates here, please.

@dewilson2023 You can claim your nephew no problem. As long as you helped supported him. The irs probably just wants his birth certificate and social security card. I know it's a pain because its going to take longer for you to receive your refund. As soon as you get the letter just send them what they need. I'm also receiving the same letter. I've claimed my step kids for years. But now they want birth certificate and social security card . I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I really hope the process goes fast for you. Forgot to mention that they will probably send your federal refund without all the child credits. So if you made, let's say, two thousand in federal taxes you should still receive that portion. No jail time or anything like that. They just wont release the child credit until you send them what they want. I hope this makes sense and helps. Sending many blessings your way

@jamank the offset total for back child support is 1,700 and due to the state refund (ohio)being processed first they took our whole state amount  of 768 so I assumed to only see 932 taken out of our federal refund to total the 1,700 but they took the whole 1,700 amount according to the offset phone line. I did find a couple people saying this happened to them last year and they had to wait until April for the state to refund the money back to them. You would think that state and federal would communicate stuff like this to eachother.  🤦‍♀️

Thank you trishc7380.

It just sucks because I claimed them for the last two years and no problem. And without the tax credit EIC, I don't have a refund. Really blows and the issue we are going through.

@jamank 

I have no issues showing proof. They are my relatives. Mom has custody but I cared for them. Homeless, but together. And I even took the IRS quiz on their site to make sure can claim and it came back

Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA)

Whom may I claim as a dependent?
You can claim Nephew as a dependent.
You can claim Nephew as a dependent.

No additional updates, not expecting much for a Sunday. Will check in tomorrow. 

@dewilson2023 Everyone's tax situation is different so you can be getting a totally different correspondence than the next person, trust me. As long as you provide them what they need then you should be fine. After you submit them what they want, you can also get a tax advocate who can help you to get your refund faster, depending on any adjustments that the IRS may make. Good look and hope all goes well for you.

I called the offset line and said my refund was reduced which I knew was gonna happen. But my ? Is it posted for feb26th does that mean I'll get what's left of my return the same day or how does that work? 

Has anyone seen their deposit go to SBTG yet my DDD is 2/26/20 

@Jyork23x You will will receive the difference on the 26th. 

I am having my deposited in my personal acct. But TT is pulling their fees first and i updated friday night into sat with a DDD of 2/26/20 what waa your file date. 

@amykitts4 

I asked a similar question in the Facebook group and to others I know who've had to go through SBTPG. 

Typically the consensus is you'll get it a day early depending on your bank. SBTPG will receive pre-authorization from the IRS Monday where it will set up the disbursement, they will receive the actual money by Tuesday and will release it same day, whether it's credited to your bank Tuesday or Wednesday depends on your bank .

I go through a credit union so I'mI'm hoping to get it early. 

I use Wal-Mart prepaid card have for years always get my payday two days early that was why i was wondering if maybe sbb hadn't received it yet. Thank you for the info. Normally wouldn't stress but this year is different circumstances. 

Does anyone know the next update is going to happen? I’m still in processing. This is this first year I’ve ever had to wait this long. Getting worried and need my funds. BAD 

@amykitts4 

No problem! I have heard people who use walmart, turbotax, chime ,and similar cards do tend to get their returns two days earlier. 

My assumption is on Monday when SBTPG sets up the disbursements ,as a courtesy those cards release the funds knowing SBTPG is backing the 'promise' for money the following day or the day after. 

My credit union does early deposits as well so I'm hoping for something similar. But honestly I'm just relieved there's even a DDD . Lots of out of nowhere things come up and this tax season has been rough .

If SBTPG doesn't update at all tonight I'd bet Monday there will be a change .

Usually weds and sats is the only day they do major updates but it could be different this year but last year i received a letter and TT told me it was those days only. Tax season sucks. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies