turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 Amending a Return - Refund did not drop to Zero

Should I be worried?  Trying to Amend my already processed 2019 Return.

The first statement out of the TurboTax Amendment processing indicates that my Refund should drop to Zero.

It does not.  It shows a huge Refund, not correlated to my 2019 Return - and I haven't done anything yet.

I don't want to spend a lot of time amending the Return if it's not going to end up working (only thing that needs amending is the Basis values on some of my stock transactions.

So should I continue or is something wrong?

And if everything is still OK, I do have a follow-up question about the Carry Forward credit on my 2018 Return, which I Amended successfully, I believe.

2019 TurboTax Deluxe, Windows 10.

ron, now in shawnee

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies

Start by switching to the FORMS mode and look at the 1040X ... are there any changed in column B? 

Critter 3-

Thanks a lot for your interest - and YES, lots of stuff in Column B.

And I have no idea where it came from because like I said, I have just started the Amended Return - haven't done anything yet - other than a "Save As" to rename the file - which brings up another problem. 

Here is what I have done (about 3 times because it didn't seem right):

1)  Copied the original TT file to a different location, not in the TurboTax folder  (glad I did, see #8)

(it has, had the same date an byte count as the original)

2)  Loaded 2019 TurboTax and clicked on the Amended option

3)  It found the original TT file in the TurboTax folder (I think, because it doesn't also tell you the location)

4)  Being pretty sure the one displayed for me is the "original" TT file (which I didn't want to touch),

I clicked on the "Find a File" option and located the copy of the original in a different folder.

5)  TT loads the copy of the original and give me the little 3-step advertisement of what it is going to do.

6)  I click on Continue and it brings up my personal information, which is OK and I Continue again.

(At this point, the FED Refund is way off - $13,492 - nowhere close to and certainly not Zero)

(However, the State Refund does show Zero (in Kansas now vs. Texas, so having to pay State Tax)

7)  And here is THE THING I DON'T LIKE AT ALL - I do a "Save As" to change the file name

😎  Then I Close (Exit) 2019 TurboTax and TurboTax does save the new file in the folder

with the copy of the original, the file I just used to start the Amended Return.

AND, BUT, TurboTax ALSO

RE-SAVES THE ORIGINAL FILE IN THE SAME FOLDER with a new date & byte size count.

(needless to say this is not right - and the reason I didn't want to work directly with the "original" TT file.)

I have repeated this process at least 3 times, knowing something is not right.  The only thing good that I can say is that TurboTax keep coming up with the same bogus FED Refund of the 13K.  It does add up correctly on the 1040-X, because of the bogus figures in Column B.

After looking at the 1040-X and the 1040 print previews in Print Center Forms, the current 1040 there at this point matches my original 1040 Exactly, but the values carried forward to the 1040-X in Column A are not correct.

I obviously don't want to proceed and submit a bogus Return to the IRS and due to the personal information involved, I can't send you copies of these files - but does anyone have any idea what is going on.  I can do this again as I still have my "original" 2019 TT file, untouched, other than making copies to use as the starting point for my Amended Return.

ron, now in shawnee

Ok ... what most likely happened is the program updated since you first filed   AND/OR  you changed things prior to starting the amendment process.  So the fix is the same either way ... you must undo the amendment process and review the new 1040 against the original 1040 to see exactly what changed.   Then you must put the return back to the originally as filed format and only then start the amendment process.  This may not be something you can do yourself ... if so seek local professional assistance and/or call TT support for guidance. 

deraiford

Hi -- I experienced the EXACT same issue yesterday as Roninroundrock.  My problem outline is exactly as was explained with large change to a refund before I begin to input anything into the amendment and a great deal of Column A on 1040 does not agree to the AS FILED return  .I've tried several different times to start "fresh" the amendment process and keep getting same issue.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489

Or –

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or –

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or –

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

Or –

On every TurboTax web page, including this one, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Contact Us

Critter 3-

Thanks again - and sorry, but I didn't entirely follow you.

I have the untouched original 2019 TT file.  I can, and have deleted all of the Amended Returns I have started, or tried to start.  And I have not changed anything at this point - the original TT file is the one I used when filing my 2019 Tax Return earlier this year (actually May, 2020 because of the Covid-19 delayed filing provision).

When you say "undue the amendment process" doesn't that mean starting all over again - which I can do.  As I mentioned, I have and can delete anything and everything TurboTax has incorrectly done - and still keep the "original TT file, which I will never touch, except to make copies of.

And yes when I loaded TT 2019 (using the untouched 2019 TurboTax program still on my system).  It did check for updates and it was updated by TurboTax - and of course, there is nothing I can do about that.

I suppose I could go back and make changes to the original TT filing (just modify the Basis on about 9 stocks), but that doesn't get me a 1040-X which I also need to file because it's an Amended Return.  Also, I am unsure what would happen if I try to go back into the 1040-X and try to jack-around with the Column A figures - not even sure how to or if I can even do that.

I just did another check - went farther in the Amended process - didn't change anything, just said Done - and the TurboTax Review of the Return came back with "no differences" between the original and the 1040-X, and asked me if I was sure I was Done and ready to file.  At that point, I just Exited TurboTax and did not Save the file.

Any further ideas?  Or is there a way or how to even get TT to talk to me about this.  I will point out that I went through this Amendment process with my 2018 Return about a month ago - same type of changes required - and everything went perfectly, just like it was supposed to.  I delayed the 2019 Amendment because I wanted the IRS time to process the earlier 2018 submitted Return.

ron, now in shawnee

Call support on Monday and let them walk you thru the screens in real time. 

OK THANKS - will give that a try.

My experience with my 2018 Amended Return WAS GREAT, AND NOW THIS.

Really frustrating when you know something is really wrong, and it isn't you.

ron, now in shawnee

deraiford-

Sounds like we are exactly in the same boat, making exactly the same attempts, with exactly the same results.

Gives me a "little" faith that TT made some bad changes, that maybe can be corrected - maybe an error in a recent update (HOPEFULLY).

If you call, like I intend to TRY, post your solution, resolution here - and I will do likewise.

ron, now in shawnee

I AM SO FRUSTRATED - I EDITED MY ORIGINAL DETAILED ENTRY TO CORRECT A TYPO - AND NOW THE COMPLETE ENTRY IS GONE, NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.  It was a detailed description of the steps that I took, and I will attempt to repeat it here.

1)  Opened 2019 TurboTax Deluxe, Windows 10.  The program 2019 version of TurboTax is still on my system, untouched since I filed my 2019 Return earlier this year, also untouched  (May, 2019, delayed as allowed due to the Covid-19 adjustments on tax filing dates).

2)  TurboTax found my 2019 TT file(s), but it impossible to tell the location of the files it finds because TurboTax does not identify the location of the file.  I had made a copy of the original TT file because I did not want to use the "original" TT file that I used in my filing, so I clicked on the "FIND A TAX FILE" option.

[NOTE:  I am glad I did that - see Step #6 below.]

3)  I located the copy of the original TT file (same Date, Time and byte count Size as the original) - which I had placed in a different folder from the TurboTax folder and clicked on it to Open it.

4)  TurboTax opened the file and I see the 3-Step advertisement from TurboTax on helping me change my Return - and I click on CONTINUE.

5)  I next answer a couple of questions (click on the check box)

- Yes, I have already filed my Tax Return (May, 2020)

- Yes, I need to Amend my 2019 Return

Then I click on CONTINUE

6)  It is at this point that I decide to do a "Save As", to Rename the TT file.

It is at this point, I notice several things that are not right - and I haven't done anything yet:

a) There is a statement at the top of this page, screen of "Why did my Refund go to Zero"

It doesn't, isn't - it shows a Refund of $13,492, which is entirely bogus, nowhere close

The State Return does show Zero (now in KS all of 2020 instead of TX, so had to pay State tax)

b)  And now ALSO a very serious problem:

SORRY, didn't notice "exactly" when, but I just noticed the TurboTax has changed

the Date, Time and Size of the copy of the "original" TT file to the current Time & Date

(the one I just used as input in Step #3 above)

THIS IS NOT RIGHT - TURBOTAX SHOULD NEVER HAVE TOUCHED THAT ORIGINAL FILE

(Sorry I didn't see "exactly when", which step, this was done, but can repeat steps if necessary)

7)  Further Errors:

I went ahead and did that "Save As", renaming the new TT file, which went as expected.

(the new TT file was saved in the same folder as the "original" used in Step #3 above)

😎  At this point, I didn't do anything else - EXCEPT to go to the Print Center

and click on the Forms option and select the 1040-X Form and the 1040 Form

The 1040-X Form is filled with bogus entries that I have no idea where they came from

in Column B on the form.  Additionally, The entries in Column A, supposedly taken

from the original 2019 TT file are also not correct, none of them, with the exception

of Line 13, Estimated Tax Payments whose Column C is correct

The 1040 form is correct, in that at this point, it exactly matches the 2019 1040 form

that was used in my original 1040 TT filing.  I think that is what it is supposed to be

at this point in the process.

The only thing good, not good but consistent is that the incorrect FED Refund of $13K mentioned above in Step #6 a) above is consistent in the 3+ times I have attempted to do the Amended Return process.

THIS TT Community Entry SHOULD BE located as Entry #3 in the TT problem report.  This is my 1st response to Critter 3 in the problem report - so this is the detailed Entry he was responding to in his 2nd response.

I will also note here that since posting this problem, another user (deraiford) has reported the exact same problem as detailed above.

Hope I haven't confused everyone too much, but feel this detail description of what is going on will be of help to the TurboTax technical support team, who I hope are taking a look at this problem.

ron, now in shawnee

deraiford-

Don't know if you are still around and have resolved your Amended Return issue (SAME AS MINE) - but mine remains unresolved.  Worked with a competent TT Technician a couple of weeks ago, to no avail.  Problem exists in both TurboTax Deluxe and Premium.

I have resolved that I will have to do this manually (as also suggested by the Technician), maybe using the over-ride capability in Turbotax to set everything back to Zero instead of starting out with the bogus $13,492 Tax Refund due me (would be nice).  Fortunately I have my Amended 2017 and 2018 Amended Returns (which did work) to guide me.

The one issue I keep coming back to haunt me is that when I start Turbotax, and select "Amend a Return" - and then I use "Find a Tax file" to get the return I am Amending, as soon as Turbotax opens the Tax file, IT IMMEDIATELY REWRITES THE FILE, with the current Time and Date stamp - THIS IS UNCONSCIONABLE - Turbotax just destroyed (by overwriting) my original Tax file.  FORTUNATELY, I never let Trubotax near my original Tax file - I just use copies of the original file which I moved to a different folder.  I am so glad I did not start out with my original 2019 Tax file - it would be gone.  Anyway, that's my small rant for the day.

But if you have found a way around the problem, please post it back here so I can get my problem fixed also - and if not, you will likely have to work out a manual way to do it - like just continue with the original return (a copy) - note the differences - and then go back and over-ride the entries on the bogus Amended Return to make it look correct - and then, I am told, file a paper copy - as opposed to try and Amend it on line by filing through TurboTax.

ron, now in shawnee

JUST ANOTHER UPDATE IN CASE ANYONE IS STILL FOLLOWING THIS PROBLEM.

Sorry I am late with the following paragraph - which is a detailed analysis of the Columns A, B,C of the 1040-X - which makes you question my due diligence of not doing it earlier - but still does not explain what is going on.

OK, it is funny that ALL of the values (Income, Tax Liability, Payments) in Column C  (Correct Amount column)  of the 1040-X match up exactly with my filed 2019 Return - WITH THE SINGLE EXCEPTION of the value on Line 16 (Amount paid with request for extension . . .) - and that line has $6,822 in it.  I didn't file any Extension, but did take advantage of the virus extended time to file - but filed the Return on 5/25/20.  But if you add the $6,822 value to my 2019 Tax Refund value of $6,670 - you can get to the $13,492 figure.  Amazing!!  So at least that part of the mystery is solved.

Again, I have no idea where the $6,822 value came from and it is also like Turbo subtracted bogus stuff in Column B from Column C to get the bogus entries in Column A - but Column C is essentially correct.  (It doesn't make sense that Turbotax used Bogus value to come up with Correct values for Column C).

Just mentioning this in case it rings a bell with anyone.

ron in shawnee

@Roninroundrock   

If the 1040X column C is the same as the 2019 filed return then you have big troubles ... the originally filed amounts need to be in Column A  and the program doesn't "backfill" in the columns A & B with random amounts.  So if you can start the amendment process with the .taxfile for the original return as filed with the IRS ... review the return then only when you are sure it looks like the original return should you start the amendment process and make the needed changes.  

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

Screenshot 2020-12-21 164426.png

Will this post - testing snipping & post

EDIT: No it didn't - does anyone know how to put a Snit in a post - MS Edge browser

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies