turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vabney

2017 State Tax Return Estimated Payments

I received a penalty notice of $130.00 for my 2017 State (Illinois) taxes. My 2018 Estimated state taxes were estimated by the Intuit Turbo Tax online software. When I contacted the Illinois State Department of Revenue, they indicated that Turbo Tax software calculated my 2018 Estimated payments from my 2017 taxable state income. However, in 2017 I had both W2's and 1099's, Turbo Tax calculated my W2's for 2018 estimated payments, but did not include the 1099's. So, my 2018 quarterly estimated payments were underestimated by $109.00 per quarter for a shortage of $436.00 in 2018. The State of Illinois adjusted my 2018 taxes accordingly. However, they penalized me for the shortage quarterly.

Can a intuit turbo tax representative speak to what happen, I used the turbo tax pre-generated State Estimated tax vouchers to make my payments. Please let me know what happen, and if I can received a reimbursement of this penalty from Turbo tax? I just received this penalty from 2017-2018 this month! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2017 State Tax Return Estimated Payments

@vabney wrote:

However, in 2017 I had both W2's and 1099's, Turbo Tax calculated my W2's for 2018 estimated payments, but did not include the 1099's....

Are you certain that was the cause of the underestimation? I, personally, had an issue with Illinois because the state increased the tax rate from 3.75% to 4.95 percent in the middle of the year (effective July 1, 2017).  Thus, estimated taxes based on the 2017 "blended rate" could be insufficient for the full 4.95% for 2018.

If the cause was other than the aforementioned (which had the potential to affect quite a few taxpayers), the you should contact Customer Support during regular business hours.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies