Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

20 year old Daughter got a Corona Stimulus pkg, now my return got rejected via IND-517-01

My daughter got the stimulus package a few weeks ago. My daughter did not file income taxes last year. She was in college and did earn under 3k. I understand she used her SSN for the corona pkg, but did not use it last year on her taxes.

So yesterday I tried to e-file and it was rejected by the IRS with an email from Turbo Tax that said it was due to IND-517-01. So, I removed her from my return and tried and it got accepted okay.

So, what is my recourse? I stand to lose almost 3k in a deduction? Is there anything I can do? 

I was hoping I could have my daughter complete a return, mark herself as being a dependent. Then I could send in an amended return (which I don't know how to do)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

20 year old Daughter got a Corona Stimulus pkg, now my return got rejected via IND-517-01

Both of you have to amend your returns and mail them in ....but only AFTER the original return has been fully processed an the original refund is in hand.   She will also need to send back the stimulus check she was not entitled to  IF  she will still be your dependent on the 2020 tax return.  

She has not yet filed a return. To avoid the deadline I was going to have her file tonight. So, is that still what we should do? Then later on we would both amend our returns, and refund the corona payment? TIA.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If she filed ''for the stimulus'' then she did file a tax return and will need to amend it.   When she did the corona package, she filed a tax return.  If she attempts to file another return, it will be rejected just like yours was.   

The Economic Impact Payment’s Non-Filers tool was not intended for use by taxpayers who also needed to file a tax return with the IRS for tax year 2019.   If she used the Non-Filers tool to register for an Economic Impact Payment, she cannot now file her tax return electronically.  She must complete and print a paper 2019 Form 1040 or 1040-SR tax return, write “Amended EIP Return” at the top, and mail it to the IRS. 

If you owe tax, you should pay it in full by the July 15 due date.  Interest will be charged after July 15 on any amounts that are not paid by July 15. For more information, visit the Amended EIP Return page.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok ... this is getting messy ... you say she was a dependent in 2018  AND  has not filed the 2019 return yet   BUT  she got the stimulus money.    SO for her to get the stimulus money she HAD to have  accidentally OR on purpose filed the 2019 return using the NON filer registration program.   Since your return got rejected due to her filing already that is the only logical conclusion. 

NOW you must BOTH amend the returns you filed.  Yours to add the child   and her's to remove herself. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies