Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Please delete

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Please delete

To choose the option to pay with your federal refund, the refund has to be enough to cover the fees AND the extra refund processing fee of $39.99 ($44.99 in CA) or you cannot use the "pay with refund" option.  That extra fee pays the third party bank that extracts your fees from the refund and sends you the rest.  If your refund is not sufficient to cover that amount you have to just pay upfront before you file.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Please delete

To choose the option to pay with your federal refund, the refund has to be enough to cover the fees AND the extra refund processing fee of $39.99 ($44.99 in CA) or you cannot use the "pay with refund" option.  That extra fee pays the third party bank that extracts your fees from the refund and sends you the rest.  If your refund is not sufficient to cover that amount you have to just pay upfront before you file.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Please delete

There are also other reasons you may not be presented the "pay out of refund" option.   See this FAQ:

FAQ:  Why can't I deduct my TurboTax fees from my Federal refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-can-t-i-deduct-my-turbotax-fees-from-my-...

If you don't have a credit or debit card, another option is a prepaid debit card you can buy in a store.  It must have a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover logo.   Credit/debit/prepaid cards must have a US billing address.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies