mommyoftwobabies

It says my 2017 federal tax return is pending what does that mean?

MichaelDC

Pending simply means that your e-filed return is on its way and that the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet.

If you e-filed your return already, it'll stay in Pending status until the IRS starts processing the backlog of returns (1/29/18).

After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24-48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.

If you contact the government or try look up your refund status while your return is still pending, don't be surprised if they tell you "no record found." This is normal; until the government starts reviewing and processing your return, they won't have any record of it.

anetra75

I am confused.  I filed today 1/25/18.  I have friends that have already filed via other ways and there returns have been accepted...why is mine being held saying pending to be sent 1/29/18 when the irs starts accepting returns?  The irs has already begun accepting returns
tjiggy22

Sometimes it takes the IRS a little longer to process some returns. I filed on the 26th (because I had to wait for a few forms I needed to become available), & my status said pending. After I completed the additional forms, two hours later, my federal return already says "accepted". I would encourage you to check again. Also, double check that all of the forms you need in order to file your taxes were completed. I hope this information helps!!