turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My fiancé claimed our son only after the state of ks confirmed last year he did not have any back arrears. This year the irs took his federal refund. Can I amend my taxes in order to claim my son

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My fiancé claimed our son only after the state of ks confirmed last year he did not have any back arrears. This year the irs took his federal refund. Can I amend my taxes in order to claim my son

Only if your fiancé also wants to file an amended return and pay back a lot of extra cash.  Your fiancé got the refund he claimed, it was just applied to some past debt.   Yeah he files it amended return, that is going to show him owing back any tax benefits he got from climbing the dependent so he will have to pay additional tax back to the IRS. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Only if your fiancé also wants to file an amended return and pay back a lot of extra cash.  Your fiancé got the refund he claimed, it was just applied to some past debt.   Yeah he files it amended return, that is going to show him owing back any tax benefits he got from climbing the dependent so he will have to pay additional tax back to the IRS. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Simple answer: No.

The IRS will not accept your amended return, until they get an amended return from the other parent, taking the child off. What's not clear is whether they will send you any refund until they get the money back from the father

The father did not receive any money due to the state of Kansas taking it even though the arrears are paid.
Hal_Al
Level 15

As far as the IRS is concerned, he did "receive'' the money, because it went to pay his debts. If he disagrees that the debt was valid, he has to handle that with the state agency that got his money.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies