If your refund is significantly different......the IRS may have held part of your refund.
The IRS does not report back to TurboTax as to why refunds are held, you may want to call the IRS for a live person, log onto IRS.GOV and request a telephone number in the "search" bar for a live person and ask , at times they may send you a letter or e-mail. 1-800-829-1040
Click here to see info from the IRS: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203
Your refund may be different or held if:
- You used our Refund Processing Services to pay for your TurboTax fees.
- Your refund was reduced by the government to correct a calculation error or through a refund offset.
- All or part of a taxpayers refund may have been used (offset) to pay off past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support, or other federal nontax debts, such as student loans. Taxpayers may also see a change in their refund amount because the IRS made a change to their tax return.
- Taxpayers will receive a notice explaining the refund offset. The notice will reflect the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency. The IRS Where’s My Refund? will also reflect the reasons for the refund offset when it relates to a change in your tax return.
- More information see IRS Tax Topic: Tax Topic 203.