turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wrong bank information was entered for my direct deposit. Site says the IRS will just mail a check. When? Will they notify me? What about the direct deposit fee?

When and how will TurboTax refund the fee?  Why can I not update my bank information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ddaven12

Wrong bank information was entered for my direct deposit. Site says the IRS will just mail a check. When? Will they notify me? What about the direct deposit fee?

Once your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to change your bank account for direct deposit.

If the info you provided is for a closed or invalid account, the government will just mail you a refund check.

And if the info you entered happens to be someone else's account, don't worry – banks won't deposit tax refunds into accounts where the names don't match up.

Now, if your recently-filed return is in pending status, wait until it's either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, simply open your return in TurboTax and go through the File section again to update your bank account before re-submitting your return (don't forget to also take care of whatever problem caused the rejection).
  • If accepted, you'll get your refund check in the mail.

Finally, If you used the  Refund Processing service, you would only be charged once the IRS processes your return. You would not be charged if the IRS has to mail you a check.

For additional information:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901677-what-if-i-entered-the-wrong-bank-account-for-direct-deposi...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ddaven12

Once your return has been accepted (or mailed), it's too late to change your bank account for direct deposit.

If the info you provided is for a closed or invalid account, the government will just mail you a refund check.

And if the info you entered happens to be someone else's account, don't worry – banks won't deposit tax refunds into accounts where the names don't match up.

Now, if your recently-filed return is in pending status, wait until it's either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, simply open your return in TurboTax and go through the File section again to update your bank account before re-submitting your return (don't forget to also take care of whatever problem caused the rejection).
  • If accepted, you'll get your refund check in the mail.

Finally, If you used the  Refund Processing service, you would only be charged once the IRS processes your return. You would not be charged if the IRS has to mail you a check.

For additional information:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901677-what-if-i-entered-the-wrong-bank-account-for-direct-deposi...

Call the santa barbera tax preparer group in charge of disbursment for the irs they have your money and can mail it as soon as your bank rejects the deposit
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies