turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Self-Employed & Gig Workers! >> Event happening TODAY!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Once I have filled for an amendment does an email get sent to me with the proper paper work to fill out that i have to mail back.

Once I have filled for an amendment does an email get sent to me with the proper paper work to fill out that i have to mail back?
1 Reply
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

Once I have filled for an amendment does an email get sent to me with the proper paper work to fill out that i have to mail back.

No, you will not receive an e-mail. The forms will be in your account. However, the amendment forms have not yet been finalized in TurboTax. We expect that they will be soon. 

You have to prepare an amendment on IRS Form 1040X to make changes to your original return. To amend you must wait until the original return has been fully processed and you receive your refund. You will need to prepare an amended tax return on a 1040X and mail it in if the new info changes your refund or tax due amount. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process an amended return. 3 weeks after you mailed your amendment, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site. 

Amendment instructions can be found here when they become available for 2017 (early february):  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies