turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my 2020 taxes (already filed), I think I entered an incorrect amount for the Recovery Rebate Credit. How can I change this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

On my 2020 taxes (already filed), I think I entered an incorrect amount for the Recovery Rebate Credit. How can I change this?

You cannot change it.   Lots of people have made mistakes with that recovery rebate credit.  The IRS is cross checking every return that has an amount on line 30 for that credit.   If you really received an EIP payment that you put on line 30, the IRS will reduce your refund.   Expect the mistake to delay the processing of your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If the amount on line 30 for the Recovery rebate credit is wrong the IRS will adjust it for you.   You don't have to do anything.   Did you claim too much for it?   The IRS is reviewing all returns that have the Recovery rebate credit.   There's been a lot of mistakes for that.   If you tried to claim too much the IRS will reduce your refund or send you a bill.

The number I put down is greater than what I actually received. 

@jaynamccauley Wait for your return to be fully processed and see what the IRS does with the incorrect amount you entered.   If you have received less than the amount of stimulus payment for the 1st and/or 2nd EIP payments, then you will have to amend your return.  But you cannot do that until your return has been fully processed.

Meanwhile...check your IRS account and see what the IRS shows for the EIP payments already made to you.   And if you filed a joint return make sure to check for your spouse too.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies