turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

egodlew

If I need to file an amended return, can I use the same 2016 TurboTax CD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you used the 2016 desktop version to prepare your return, then you can use the same software to amend a 2016 return as well.

You would just use the same program.   Or did you uninstall it?  If you uninstalled it, you would have to reinstall it in order to amend a 2016 return. 

There's no reason to uninstall the software unless you are really crammed for space.  I have 3 years of TurboTax programs installed and can easily open a past return or prepare an amended return if I need to without having to install anything.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If you used the 2016 desktop version to prepare your return, then you can use the same software to amend a 2016 return as well.

You would just use the same program.   Or did you uninstall it?  If you uninstalled it, you would have to reinstall it in order to amend a 2016 return. 

There's no reason to uninstall the software unless you are really crammed for space.  I have 3 years of TurboTax programs installed and can easily open a past return or prepare an amended return if I need to without having to install anything.

egodlew

Does it make a difference if I already efiled it and it has been accepted?

Wait a minute!  What all are you doing??  You better start from square one and explain your story.   What is your situation and what all have you done??
egodlew

I efiled my return 2 days ago and it was accepted. I owe the Fed $ and scheduled an April 14th payment out of my checking account. Now I have to amend it.

What is the reason for amending?
egodlew

omitted a K1

You can use your software to amend the return.  Hopefully, you didn't uninstall it.

IMPORTANT:  Before amending your return,  be sure you save all the items listed in the following FAQ, and that you create a backup copy of the original *.tax2016 data file as described in the FAQ.

See this FAQ:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061593-how-do-i-amend-my-2016-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-download-...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies