turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What to mail after printing documents.

Do I remove the instruction sheets before mailing? And do I need to print my W-2 and include with the package?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

If you are filing your tax return by mail, you should print and mail only the official IRS forms and schedules. Attach your Copy B of Forms W-2, and copies of any Forms 1099 that show federal income tax withheld, to the front of the first page of your return.

Do not include instruction sheets or any worksheet or form marked "Keep for your records."

If you have a payment due, include Form 1040-V Payment Voucher. Please make your check payable to "United States Treasury." Write your Social Security number and "2016 Form 1040" clearly on the face of the check.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MichaelMc

If you are filing your tax return by mail, you should print and mail only the official IRS forms and schedules. Attach your Copy B of Forms W-2, and copies of any Forms 1099 that show federal income tax withheld, to the front of the first page of your return.

Do not include instruction sheets or any worksheet or form marked "Keep for your records."

If you have a payment due, include Form 1040-V Payment Voucher. Please make your check payable to "United States Treasury." Write your Social Security number and "2016 Form 1040" clearly on the face of the check.

Also, I have to file in Oregon as well, but my list of documents that I downloaded from turbotax is missing page 5 of my OR-40-N form. The fifth page that was printed was just another copy of my 1040EZ. Isn't that a mistake?
MichaelMc

Not necessarily. Many states require a copy of your federal return if filing by mail.

Nevermind, it says I dont need to include page 5 if it's not an ammended return. Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies