Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

templemk

Do I need to amend my return since Line 4a on my return is incorrect, and is actually lower than the correct number on line 4b?

I do not know what got dropped, but the number on line 4a is $3,702 lower than it should be, but again, line 4b is correct so my taxes are correct. Do I need to amend my return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do I need to amend my return since Line 4a on my return is incorrect, and is actually lower than the correct number on line 4b?

Per the IRS rules, if an entire 1099-R is taxable, the amount only gets posted on line 4b. So if you have several of those forms, line 4b can indeed be less than line 4a.  I've seen some issues when transferring this info to state returns, though, since some states start with 4a and then make adjustments.
WillK
Intuit Alumni

No, you probably do not. If the IRS makes any adjustments to your return they will send you a notification about what they did and why. If they send you a letter asking you to adjust it, then you cand should file an amended return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If line 4a<4b is OK according to TT then why would the IRS send an amended letter.  TT has not changed this even though several people have been concerned about 4a<4b and some even had their tax returns erroneously corrected by the IRS.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies