turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

llbball

What is the deadline to file an amended tax return?

I am needing to do an amendment based of a 1099-C I received for cancellation of debt after I already filed and received a refund.  What is the deadline to file this amendment?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SandraM

The IRS will accept an amended return up to 3 years after the date you filed the original return or within 2 years after you paid the tax due on the return, whichever is later.

Tip: If you filed before the April deadline, the IRS considers the April deadline to be the filing date (for example, if you filed in January, you'd have until April 17 three years down the road to file the amendment).

Some unusual tax situations, such as NOL and general business credit carrybacks or situations involving bad debts, get more time to amend. However, for most people, the deadline to amend a 2013 or earlier return has passed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SandraM

The IRS will accept an amended return up to 3 years after the date you filed the original return or within 2 years after you paid the tax due on the return, whichever is later.

Tip: If you filed before the April deadline, the IRS considers the April deadline to be the filing date (for example, if you filed in January, you'd have until April 17 three years down the road to file the amendment).

Some unusual tax situations, such as NOL and general business credit carrybacks or situations involving bad debts, get more time to amend. However, for most people, the deadline to amend a 2013 or earlier return has passed.

llbball

Thank you.  I have this waiting period, even though I may owe part of my original refund back?  If I wait until next year to file this amendment, can I just put this 1099-C information on my 2018 tax return?  Or do I have to file a 2017 amendment while filing a 2018 return?
SandraM

No you cannot put this income on your 2018 return.  It is considered income during 2017, not 2018.  If you may owe part of your original refund back due to the 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt, I recommend that you file the 2017 Amended return as soon as possible.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies