turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjoaquino

My mom filed me as a student and I filed my taxes saying that I make money. (I’m 18 in highschool) will anything happen since she filed me as a student and I filed that I work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mom filed me as a student and I filed my taxes saying that I make money. (I’m 18 in highschool) will anything happen since she filed me as a student and I filed that I work?

No.  You are both.  You have to file your own return for your income.  Make sure you checked the box that says you can be claimed on someone else’s return.  Did you?  Have you both filed your returns?  Were they both accepted yet?

You can check your efile status here     https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No.  You are both.  You have to file your own return for your income.  Make sure you checked the box that says you can be claimed on someone else’s return.  Did you?  Have you both filed your returns?  Were they both accepted yet?

You can check your efile status here     https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/
cjoaquino

Yes I checked that box, I already filed mine and got accepted. They haven’t filed theirs. So it’s okay that they claimed me as a student with no income and I filed my taxes separately because I do have a job?

Yes you have to file your own return.   So on your actual 1040 the first box is checked right under your name where it says Standard Deduction?  They don't put down your income on their return.  If you are under 19 they can claim you no matter how much you make.
cjoaquino

Yes I checked the boxes that say I can be claimed and will be claimed if those are the boxes you’re referring to.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies