turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I amend my 2017 tax return completed by a private tax professional with turbo tax?

I am planning to file my taxes for 2018 with Turbo Tax but I have found errors in my return from 2017 that may provide more of a refund. The 2017 tax return was completed by a local private tax professional that I do not want to return to. Is there a way to file an amended return for 2017 through turbo tax? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Can I amend my 2017 tax return completed by a private tax professional with turbo tax?

Yes, you can file an amendment with us. 

1. You first have to purchase the desktop software and install/download it to your computer.  See TT past year products.  Next, you have to re-create that original return EXACTLY as it was when originally filed.  
  2. You will tell the software you are going to file by mail so the software “thinks” you filed the return.   
  3. After that, you go to the section to “Amend” the return  (It is under Other Tax Situations>Other Tax Forms>Amend a Return).  See 2017 amendment.  
  4. Then you amend the return to prepare a Form 1040X, which will have to be printed, signed and mailed.  Amended tax returns cannot be e-filed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can file an amendment with us. 

1. You first have to purchase the desktop software and install/download it to your computer.  See TT past year products.  Next, you have to re-create that original return EXACTLY as it was when originally filed.  
  2. You will tell the software you are going to file by mail so the software “thinks” you filed the return.   
  3. After that, you go to the section to “Amend” the return  (It is under Other Tax Situations>Other Tax Forms>Amend a Return).  See 2017 amendment.  
  4. Then you amend the return to prepare a Form 1040X, which will have to be printed, signed and mailed.  Amended tax returns cannot be e-filed.

If I purchase the past year product can I then use it for this year as well? Or is there an additional fee to use it for this year?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No.  the past year does not cover this year, unfortunately. Especially there are so many changes in 2018 tax laws, you will need the 2018 product to file this year's taxes.  Generally, each year's  TurboTax product only supports that specific year due to the cost of living index ( exemption amount or income limitations)  or tax law change though not big.   
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies