turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My boyfriend tried to claim me as a dependent on his tax return and it turns out someone already had claim me . How do I go about reporting them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My boyfriend tried to claim me as a dependent on his tax return and it turns out someone already had claim me . How do I go about reporting them?

You don't report them. You (or the person who can claim you) files a competing return. The IRS will sort it out.

So if your BF can claim you, he should go ahead and do so. But, he can no longer efile. He will have to print and mail his return. 

Your BF can only claim you if you lived with him ALL year, in 2016.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but they have to be related..

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer (like your parent)

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Like your parents. maybe?

No my Mom died a few years ago and Father lives out of country.
Hal_Al
Level 15

You don't report them. You (or the person who can claim you) files a competing return. The IRS will sort it out.

So if your BF can claim you, he should go ahead and do so. But, he can no longer efile. He will have to print and mail his return. 

Your BF can only claim you if you lived with him ALL year, in 2016.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but they have to be related..

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016)

3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer (like your parent)

Manage cookies