turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anho1998

I already mailed my 2018 taxes using a different tax prep software from my school. However, I would like to submit an amendment with Turbotax. Is this possible and how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I already mailed my 2018 taxes using a different tax prep software from my school. However, I would like to submit an amendment with Turbotax. Is this possible and how?

Yes, it is possible.  

You can amend with TurboTax even if your return was prepared elsewhere.  However, it's a bit more work.  First, you need to recreate your return in exactly the way as how it was filed ( both Federal and State), then go through the amendment process for that return.  You will start entering information under Federal, then the program will transfer data over to the State.  Make sure to revisit the State section to verify all the credits and deductions.  Once you finish the amendment process, you can print out just the state amended tax forms for mail-in.  

Here are the steps:

• You will need to purchase a past year TurboTax desktop program here 2017 desktop.
  • Recreate your return in exactly the way as how it was filed ( Both Federal and State), then 
  • Go through the amendment process by following these steps :
  • In the program, across the top, go to Federal Taxes / Other Tax Situations / Other Tax Forms- Amend a                return and select Start to follow step-by-step onscreen instructions.

Please note that you should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  If by editing the information does not change the refund or amount you owe, you do not need to submit the amendment. 

Will it let me fill out the 1040NREZ (I'm a nonresident) myself? Because I tried using Turbox tax step by step and my tax return ended up different than the one I already filed. Thank you!
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No, it won't.   If you are a nonresident, TurboTax does not support Form 1040NR.  You will have to contact Sprintax.  TurboTax only support US citizens and residents.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies