turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lanilsson

1040 shows overpayment although IRS have not actually paid any refund.

I got a mail from IRS that my estimated federal tax payments were incorrect. So I correct this minor thing on a 1040X and shows me taxes due, even though my 1040 actually shows me a refund. This is because my initial 1040 showed a larger refund, but this larger refund hasn't been paid by IRS. Should I still pay this, even though IRS actually owes me a refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Did the IRS ask you to amend the return ?   Or did they adjust your return and send the corrected refund?
lanilsson

They haven't sent any refund yet. They asked me to send detailed info information about my tax payments as it didn't match what I had reported on the return. That's when I noted that I had incorrectly reported the total amount of tax payments, and I filled out the 1040X. The issue is that the 1040X states that I owe money based on the decreased refund compared to the original 1040. Since IRS haven't paid the original refund yet, it seems silly that I should pay this difference so that they can pay the original (and incorrect) refund, rather than the newly revised one. Should I still pay what is stated on the 1040X?

No, because you didn't get the first original refund yet.  Does the original refund show up on the amended return line 18?  That should be zero since you didn't get it.  You need to wait to amend until you get the original return straightened out with the IRS.  Ask the IRS if they want you to amend.

You should not amend, you should send the IRS the information they requested in the letter. You can state you incorrectly entered the wrong amount that you paid, then included how much you paid along with proof on what you paid. Once the IRS receives the information they requested they will adjust your return & then process your return.

On your return in your account you can just correct the amount, don't amend. You can undo the amended return.

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in TurboTax Online?

I had a similar situation where my tax return was audited because I had claimed my two step daughters before we were married. I was supposed to get around 7500 after the audit I only received around 3000. A few months later the irs sent me a letter saying I owed 4700 dollars because they over paid me. I spent hundreds of hours on the phone getting transferred from one person to another with absolutely no-one able to help me or even give me an explanation. The IRS has taken my last 2 tax returns and put it towards that 4700. What can I do? Please help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies