turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

redurand5

Need a phone number for the IRS that I can talk to an actual person not a recording. My refund has never reached my bank account. Everything was done right.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Need a phone number for the IRS that I can talk to an actual person not a recording. My refund has never reached my bank account. Everything was done right.

When did the IRS issue the refund? Did you have TT fees deducted from it?
redurand5

3/4  and no

I would wait until well after the the tax deadline  on Apr 15 before calling since this is the busiest phone help time of the year.   

The IRS says most refunds will be issued within 21 days - some faster, some longer.

Each tax return is evaluated on it's own merits.  There is no first-in-first-out.  Two similar tax return submitted at the same time can have totally different processing times based on IRS criteria for examining  tax returns that the IRS does not divulge.

Some returns will be held for ID verification or other verification.  The IRS will send a letter if they require more information to process your tax return.

Check your refund stratus here:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/refunds">https://www.irs.gov/refunds</a>

Check your state refund here:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund">https://ttlc.intuit.com/qu...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
CassandraLO
Intuit Alumni

If your return was accepted less than 21 days ago, hang in there. It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to go from acceptance to approval. 

For the most up to date information, the IRS Where’s My Refund? site will provide your current status. For your State refund, click here How do I track my state refund?.

Here is the general timeline of e-filed returns:

Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund

If it has been more than 21 days since your return was accepted, I have listed some information below on why your return may be taking a little bit longer. You may also contact the IRS directly, to see if they can give you information on your return. I am listing their phone number below, along with instructions on how to get through to a representative.

Even though the IRS issues 9 out of 10 tax refunds within 21 days, it's possible your return may require additional review and take longer to process.

For some taxpayers, PATH Act requirements and other identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS may account for longer wait times. (Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC) and/or Additional Child Tax Credit)

Other things that can delay your refund include but are not limited to:

• Liens, back taxes, or refund offsets;
  • Errors, inconsistencies, or missing information;
  • Identity fraud;
  • Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which can take 11-14 weeks to process.

Also, if you chose direct deposit, your financial institution may need up to 5 days to post the refund to your account, so keep that in mind.

To contact the IRS call: 1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line. 

After first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything. 

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies