boyd

My wife and I are filing jointly as WA state residents. She earned $1325 for a job she did in NYC...do we need to file an entire NY State return?

The work was done as an independent contractor and they withheld taxes before paying her

IsabellaG

Yes, you would file a Nonresident tax return for NY. New York computes the tax for a Nonresident as if the taxpayer were a full-year resident of NY, then the tax is multiplied by a percentage based on the NY income vs total federal income. 

Make sure that you enter the NY withholding in the federal section of your return.

IsabellaG