hammers33

My wages were garnished by the state for not filing my taxes. I immediately paid them in full. Can I file for those years and be reimbursed for those years? Thank you.

Thank you for your time
Lisa995

How many years back are you talking about?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
hammers33

Thank you for responding, Lisa. I really appreciate any feedback. 3 years
Lisa995

There's a statute of limitations on getting refunds on tax returns.  You may want to check with your particular state as to how many years back you can still get any refunds due to you.  

Federal returns its 3 years, some states are different.  CA gives you 4 years, but I think each state is different.

I would absolutely get them filed correctly as soon as possible and see what happens.  Its never too late to file a return that hasn't actually been filed yet.  Worst case is you don't get anything back, but chances are, with only 3 years back, you should still be in the statute of limitations.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

When you don't file a tax return, the state creates a substitute tax return in their computer system based on your wage and income data that they get from employers, the IRS, and other sources.  But, they may not give you credit for deductions and credits, so the tax they think you owe may be more than what you really owe.  Then, if your W-2 withholdings are not enough the cover the tax bill, they will eventually find some way to take it from you.

If you file tax returns now, you will calculate your actual tax owed for those years.  If that tax owed is less than your payments (withholdings plus your recent garishment) then you should get a refund.  But it might not be the full amount that you paid.  You have to prepare the forms and see what happens.

If you also never filed federal tax returns, the same issue will come up with them sooner or later.

To file a state tax return in turbotax, you first need to prepare a federal return, then the information flows to the state return.  If you already filed federal, then print the state returns and mail them in (use separate envelopes for each year and use a mail service that has tracking and proof of delivery.)  If you didn;t file federal for those years, you can do that now too.

For 2016, you can use Turbotax online if you prefer.  For 2015, 2014 and 2013, you'll need to buy turbotax as a downloadable installer and install it on your own computer.  You can do this from the turbotax.com home page, scroll to the bottom and look for "prior year products".