turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbjeu

My son filled his taxes (and didn’t declare himself as my dependent, since he also uses Turbo Tax I can’t file my taxes until he amends his. Should I file an extension

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My son filled his taxes (and didn’t declare himself as my dependent, since he also uses Turbo Tax I can’t file my taxes until he amends his. Should I file an extension

The error won't be corrected through TurboTax. Your son will need to mail the amended return (1040X) and you will need to paper file and mail your return if you claim your son as your dependent. The exemption will not be freed-up any time soon by the IRS and it is doubtful that you will be able to e-file this season, even if you file an extension. You also have the option of e-filing without claiming him and then file your own amended return to claim his exemption. All amended returns must be paper-filed and mailed. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

The error won't be corrected through TurboTax. Your son will need to mail the amended return (1040X) and you will need to paper file and mail your return if you claim your son as your dependent. The exemption will not be freed-up any time soon by the IRS and it is doubtful that you will be able to e-file this season, even if you file an extension. You also have the option of e-filing without claiming him and then file your own amended return to claim his exemption. All amended returns must be paper-filed and mailed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies