marshajac

My son filed his taxes and didnt put that someome could claim him as a dependent. He spoke with his tax preparer and said that she would file an amendment for him for an

I was wondering if I go ahead and file without him, Once his amendment is filed that someone could claim him as a dependent, Can I file and carry him as my dependent at a later date and time this year?

Your dependent filed a return without saying he could be claimed on your return and your return was rejected?  AFTER his return has been fully processed and he has received his refund, he has to file an amended return that says he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  Amended returns (form 1040X) have to be printed and mailed.  They cannot be e-filed; it takes the IRS a couple of months to process them.  Meanwhile, since your e-filed return has been rejected, you now have to print and mail it in to the IRS.  You will not be able to e-file.  Remember that when you mail a return, you need to include copies of your W-2, etc. with your return.  You do not need to wait for the dependent's amended return to be processed.  In fact, you cannot wait--it takes months for the IRS to process an amended return.

For your dependent:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-the-2016-taxes-i-filed-with-turbotax-online

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing