• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacques-lorfils

My parent claiming me on their tax return. They are asking me for my w2, do they really need it to claim me on their return.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

My parent claiming me on their tax return. They are asking me for my w2, do they really need it to claim me on their return.

Yes, to claim you as their dependent, they need your W-2 to see how much you make in 2019.  It will help them to decide either you provide more than half of your own support or if you make more than $4200 as part of the requirements.  For more information, see Credit for Other Dependents.

However, they do not include your W-2 amount on their taxes.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fanfare
Level 15

see irs pub 501 for who may be a dependent on your parents' tax return. Your income may be relevant.
SweetieJean
Level 15

How old are you?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, to claim you as their dependent, they need your W-2 to see how much you make in 2019.  It will help them to decide either you provide more than half of your own support or if you make more than $4200 as part of the requirements.  For more information, see Credit for Other Dependents.

However, they do not include your W-2 amount on their taxes.  

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v