rdheiden

My husband passed away on 7/28/2016, we have five children, we all receive SSI each month. Is that why the tax return is $0 this year?

KarenL2

I am sorry to hear of your loss.  If that is the only income you have, then that is the reason there is a $0 tax refund this year.

KarenL2

rdheiden

Yes, that is the only income I have now. Thank you for your condolences, and thank you for answering.
KarenL2

You're welcome!
rdheiden

Can I ask one more question? (I'm sorry, I just want to make sure I didn't do something wrong!) Even if there was income that he earned for the first 7 months of the year, the refund is still $0, right?
KarenL2

It depends on how much he earned, the type of income, and if there was any tax withholding.  You are required to report that income on your tax return and you can file jointly for 2016.
rdheiden

It's strange because it didn't even ask me to input any of the info from his W2. (This is why I'm worried that I might have done something wrong) I did file jointly for 2016. It wouldn't let me e-file it, it said I have to mail it in and I am going to attach a copy of the W2. Thank you for your time.
rdheiden

Before I mail this in, I just want to make sure. Is it normal that TurboTax didn't ask for any of the info from his W2? Or was this an error?
KarenL2

You should include income from his W-2 if filing jointly.  All of his income earned should be included up to the date of his passing.
rdheiden

Ok. I think maybe I need to re-start the whole process. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.