Solved: My husband owes money. I do not. We filed together last year but he did not work. This year he has a W2. Last year I had to deal with my refund being taken and then going through the process of gettin

sabrinahg0926

My husband owes money. I do not. We filed together last year but he did not work. This year he has a W2. Last year I had to deal with my refund being taken and then going through the process of gettin

I want to understand if it’s better for us to file separately or is jointly the best option

Hal_Al

You can still file jointly (and most likely  should). You include "Injured Spouse" allocation form 8379 to keep the IRS from taking "your refund" to satisfy his debt.

Type> injured spouse <in the find box to activate the form

Hal_Al