turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bjmae070

My husband lost his W2, we just realized this. Should I file separately this year or amend our joint return?

My husband lost his W2, we just realized this, should I file separately this year or amend later
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband lost his W2, we just realized this. Should I file separately this year or amend our joint return?

Your best option is to request the automatic extension of the deadline and file a joint return when you get the W-2 copy from his employer.

If you file separately, you will probably owe more tax or get a smaller refund than if you file jointly, and he will owe a penalty for filing late unless he files an extension request.

If you file a joint return now with one income and then amend later, you need to know that amended returns take 4-5 months to process.  If the amended return results in a second refund, it will take that long to arrive.  If the amended return results in a smaller overall refund (meaning you have to pay some of your refund back), you will owe interest  and penalties on the due amount.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Your best option is to request the automatic extension of the deadline and file a joint return when you get the W-2 copy from his employer.

If you file separately, you will probably owe more tax or get a smaller refund than if you file jointly, and he will owe a penalty for filing late unless he files an extension request.

If you file a joint return now with one income and then amend later, you need to know that amended returns take 4-5 months to process.  If the amended return results in a second refund, it will take that long to arrive.  If the amended return results in a smaller overall refund (meaning you have to pay some of your refund back), you will owe interest  and penalties on the due amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies