My husband lost his W2, we just realized this. Should I file separately this year or amend our joint return?

My husband lost his W2, we just realized this, should I file separately this year or amend later

Your best option is to request the automatic extension of the deadline and file a joint return when you get the W-2 copy from his employer.

If you file separately, you will probably owe more tax or get a smaller refund than if you file jointly, and he will owe a penalty for filing late unless he files an extension request.

If you file a joint return now with one income and then amend later, you need to know that amended returns take 4-5 months to process.  If the amended return results in a second refund, it will take that long to arrive.  If the amended return results in a smaller overall refund (meaning you have to pay some of your refund back), you will owe interest  and penalties on the due amount.