cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

My husband lost his W2, we just realized this. Should I file separately this year or amend our joint return?

My husband lost his W2, we just realized this, should I file separately this year or amend later
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 20

My husband lost his W2, we just realized this. Should I file separately this year or amend our joint return?

Your best option is to request the automatic extension of the deadline and file a joint return when you get the W-2 copy from his employer.

If you file separately, you will probably owe more tax or get a smaller refund than if you file jointly, and he will owe a penalty for filing late unless he files an extension request.

If you file a joint return now with one income and then amend later, you need to know that amended returns take 4-5 months to process.  If the amended return results in a second refund, it will take that long to arrive.  If the amended return results in a smaller overall refund (meaning you have to pay some of your refund back), you will owe interest  and penalties on the due amount.

1 Reply
Level 20

Your best option is to request the automatic extension of the deadline and file a joint return when you get the W-2 copy from his employer.

If you file separately, you will probably owe more tax or get a smaller refund than if you file jointly, and he will owe a penalty for filing late unless he files an extension request.

If you file a joint return now with one income and then amend later, you need to know that amended returns take 4-5 months to process.  If the amended return results in a second refund, it will take that long to arrive.  If the amended return results in a smaller overall refund (meaning you have to pay some of your refund back), you will owe interest  and penalties on the due amount.