turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is only one working. My school loans offset our refund. We filed injured spouse how much will he recieve from the original refund amount?

Just want to know how much of the original tax refund amount he will get back?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AndreaG

My husband is only one working. My school loans offset our refund. We filed injured spouse how much will he recieve from the original refund amount?

Unfortunately, there isnt any way to know what amount of the refund will be applied against the debt and what amount of the refund will be given to you. 

When you complete the injured spouse form, there is a worksheet that allows you to allocate income, expenses, deductions, and credits between you and your spouse. The IRS uses this allocation information to determine how much of the joint tax refund will be applied against the debt and how much will be given to the injured spouse. However, the IRS does not publish how they make this determination.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AndreaG

Unfortunately, there isnt any way to know what amount of the refund will be applied against the debt and what amount of the refund will be given to you. 

When you complete the injured spouse form, there is a worksheet that allows you to allocate income, expenses, deductions, and credits between you and your spouse. The IRS uses this allocation information to determine how much of the joint tax refund will be applied against the debt and how much will be given to the injured spouse. However, the IRS does not publish how they make this determination.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies