turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal was accepted on January 14th and the state I was able to do on the 17th. Why is the State tax still pending?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My federal was accepted on January 14th and the state I was able to do on the 17th. Why is the State tax still pending?

The IRS does not officially open e-filing until January 28, although they take some returns for early testing, this is unannounced and we don’t know when, who, or how many. You don’t say which state, so we can’t tell you when your state officially opens e-filing. 

No tax software provider directly transmits tax returns to any taxing authority. Instead, the tax returns are placed in a data warehouse to which the state and federal tax authorities connect and download the returns into their own systems. TurboTax opened their data warehouse for early filers, but has no control over when any particular state will start to connect and download returns. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The IRS does not officially open e-filing until January 28, although they take some returns for early testing, this is unannounced and we don’t know when, who, or how many. You don’t say which state, so we can’t tell you when your state officially opens e-filing. 

No tax software provider directly transmits tax returns to any taxing authority. Instead, the tax returns are placed in a data warehouse to which the state and federal tax authorities connect and download the returns into their own systems. TurboTax opened their data warehouse for early filers, but has no control over when any particular state will start to connect and download returns. 

Ok, Thank you for your quick response, and the State is Massachusetts.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies