croyn

My employer recorded a higher incorrect amount for my local withholding on my w-2 (my local taxing authority confirmed) but they actually withheld the correct amount. Can I use the correct amount and not wait for a corrected w-2 for federal filing purpose

I already filed my local tax return and they are not asking for a corrected w-2.  I did not file my federal or state return.  thanks

ToddL

If you are confident that you know the correct amount of local tax withheld and it is lower than reported, it doesn't seem to be a problem filing now with the correct, lower amount. You would actually be claiming a lower state/local tax deduction than what the IRS is expecting and they don't mind that at all.

You may have an issue with your state return depending on how their e-file parameters treat differences between W-2 state amounts and  returns. At worst, you might have to file your state return by mail.

ToddL

Are you itemizing deductions?
croyn

Yes.
croyn

I was hoping I could file with the correct amount now since taxes are due shortly and my co wouldn't have a corrected w-2 in time.  If I file with the correct amount now I would not need to file an amended fed return at a later time.   My co might need to file a corrected w-2.
croyn

Our state return doesn't look at local taxes.
ToddL

Then the local taxes probably aren't something they check when processing an e-filed return.
ToddL