• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
croyn

My employer recorded a higher incorrect amount for my local withholding on my w-2 (my local taxing authority confirmed) but they actually withheld the correct amount. Can I use the correct amount and not wait for a corrected w-2 for federal filing purpose

I already filed my local tax return and they are not asking for a corrected w-2.  I did not file my federal or state return.  thanks
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

My employer recorded a higher incorrect amount for my local withholding on my w-2 (my local taxing authority confirmed) but they actually withheld the correct amount. Can I use the correct amount and not wait for a corrected w-2 for federal filing purpose

If you are confident that you know the correct amount of local tax withheld and it is lower than reported, it doesn't seem to be a problem filing now with the correct, lower amount. You would actually be claiming a lower state/local tax deduction than what the IRS is expecting and they don't mind that at all.

You may have an issue with your state return depending on how their e-file parameters treat differences between W-2 state amounts and  returns. At worst, you might have to file your state return by mail.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ToddL

Are you itemizing deductions?
croyn

Yes.
croyn

I was hoping I could file with the correct amount now since taxes are due shortly and my co wouldn't have a corrected w-2 in time.  If I file with the correct amount now I would not need to file an amended fed return at a later time.   My co might need to file a corrected w-2.
croyn

Our state return doesn't look at local taxes.
ToddL

Then the local taxes probably aren't something they check when processing an e-filed return.
ToddL

If you are confident that you know the correct amount of local tax withheld and it is lower than reported, it doesn't seem to be a problem filing now with the correct, lower amount. You would actually be claiming a lower state/local tax deduction than what the IRS is expecting and they don't mind that at all.

You may have an issue with your state return depending on how their e-file parameters treat differences between W-2 state amounts and  returns. At worst, you might have to file your state return by mail.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v