turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amyclp96

My employer just told me they’re sending me a W-2c in the next 3 weeks, AFTER I filed my taxes with the original W-2 I got. The IRS already accepted it. What do I do?

They told me not to file my taxes with the other W-2, however I did so already on January 25th. A week after they sent the original W-2. The IRS has already accepted it however because of the EITC and Child Credit I won’t receive the refund until end of February. I won’t get the W-2c until early March my employer told me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

My employer just told me they’re sending me a W-2c in the next 3 weeks, AFTER I filed my taxes with the original W-2 I got. The IRS already accepted it. What do I do?

There's nothing you can do now but wait for your refund to come in. 

• You'll have to amend your income tax returns when you get the corrected W-2, sometime in March. 
  • When you amend a tax return, the IRS does not go into your account and take back the refund. 

If you can find out from your employer the reason for the corrected W-2, it might help to know how it will affect you.

• If the reason for the corrected W-2 is because your wages were wrong (lower than the original W-2), you may need to pay some of the refund back.
  • If the reason for the corrected W-2 is because your wages were wrong (higher than the original W-2), you will get an additional refund.

When you do get the corrected W-2, see How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

View solution in original post

4 Replies

two good reasons to wait until the end of February to e-File.
amyclp96

I've never had this happen. I would think companies would be more conscientious when working with their employee's tax documents, but I guess not.
HelenaC

You're right. What a hassle for you! Hope you have a great year otherwise :).
HelenaC

There's nothing you can do now but wait for your refund to come in. 

• You'll have to amend your income tax returns when you get the corrected W-2, sometime in March. 
  • When you amend a tax return, the IRS does not go into your account and take back the refund. 

If you can find out from your employer the reason for the corrected W-2, it might help to know how it will affect you.

• If the reason for the corrected W-2 is because your wages were wrong (lower than the original W-2), you may need to pay some of the refund back.
  • If the reason for the corrected W-2 is because your wages were wrong (higher than the original W-2), you will get an additional refund.

When you do get the corrected W-2, see How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies