317rebholz

My dependant daughter mistakenly claimed herself & got her refund. If I have her submit the paper amendment, Would it be better for me to e-file/upgrade or paper file?

Paper filing is your only option.  You will not be able to e-file your 2018 return.  If it is any comfort, kids do this a lot with first jobs/first tax returns, and parents end up with the problem of rejected tax returns.

Your dependent filed a return without saying he could be claimed on your return and your return was rejected?  AFTER his return has been fully processed and he has received his refund, he has to file an amended return that says he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  Amended returns (form 1040X) have to be printed and mailed.  They cannot be e-filed; it takes the IRS a couple of months to process them.  Meanwhile, since your e-filed return has been rejected, you now have to print and mail it in to the IRS.  You will not be able to e-file. You do not have to wait for your dependent’s amended return to be processed.  Remember that when you mail a return, you need to include copies of your W-2, etc. with your return.

317rebholz

Very Helpful, Thank You!