katmon88

My boyfriend filed an amended return form this years taxes, because this was our first year filing with a child. How will it affect my return? I mailed in my return.

IsabellaG

It shouldn't affect your return at all, as long as you both aren't claiming the tax benefits for the child. Only one of you can claim  the exemption for the child, and the tax benefits associated with that.

fanfare

do the two returns ( yours and his) conflict with each other? IRS will be in touch.
katmon88

We efiled his return. Then tried to efile mine, and it got rejected because we had put our childs social on both returns. We were confused. We amended his return, mailed it in. We then printed my return, and I mailed it a week after my boyfriend did his. I'm afraid of mine getting rejected again.
IsabellaG

katmon88

IsabellaG

You did this correctly, then. Your return might take longer to process than just e-filing, but it should be accepted by the IRS, because two people are no longer claiming the same dependent.
katmon88

Thank you!
IsabellaG

You're welcome!