My 2019 tax is still pending. Will the government use my 2018 tax information to send my stimulus check or 2019

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Depending on when the IRS processes your 2019 return, the information on it might be used. There is no way to know which one they will use. Do you have direct deposit information on both returns and is it correct? If not, you may want to provide the IRS with an update when they open a portal for you to enter your current direct deposit information. It is expected to open soon. See this IRS pub to track it:  https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Thank you for replying. Yes the bank information is the same on 2019 and 2018 the only difference is 2018 I filed for my kids but this yr their father filed for them but both of our taxes for 2019 is still pending. 

and it really doesn't matter too much.

the 2020 tax return will be used as the 'settle up'

if your 2020 tax return (income, dependents) says you should have received more stimulus, you'll get that additional amount.  If the return says you should have received less, the CARES act says you do not owe it back.,

Frankly, it would not surprise me if the IRS used whatever they had on March 30, the day the Act was passed, to minimizing "gaming" where folks know they had low incomes in 2018 (so they get the stimulus) but high income in 2019 (so they don't get the stimulus) or they had a 16 year old in 2018 (eligible for $500) who was a 17 year old in 2019 (not eligible for the $500) etc.  Given the speed this whole thing was passed, hard to make it "fair" to all, 

If the kids were under age 17 at the end of 2019, the tax return the IRS uses will likely affect the amount of dependent credit each of you get in your stimulus payment. This is a $500 credit for each child under age 17 who is claimed as a dependent on your tax return. I don't know what the IRS rules are for this situation. If the 2 of you get along well, you might consider splitting the dependent credit with each other since you appear to alternate from one year to the next. 

@lucypower83 - if you have filed 2018 but not 2019, then as each day passes, the likelihood is the IRS will use the 2018 return as the basis of the stimulus.  

if you are using direct deposit, those payments are supposed to hit any day now, so unlikely 2019 tax return will have any impact.  See my post above about how these payments are an estimate against the actual calculations to occur on the 2020 tax return. 

The "settle up" return in 2020 may still leave one of the parents getting the stimulus payments for the children and not the other.  Maybe the IRS has anticipated this but if they have, I haven't seen it. 

I ran into the same problem. My 2019 tax return still is being processed. I accessed the get my payment tool on IRS.gov to check my status. The tool states that I’m eligible for a payment but they need additional info. I’m assuming this is because I haven’t received my refund yet even that the refund was accepted 1/23/2020. So I submitted 2018 AGI and refund about because I received my refund via DD. The problem is when I submitted 2018 info. The site states the info submitted doesn’t match what the IRS has on file. I submitted 2019 and I received the same response. When I tried again the site locked me out. I’m so afraid the my stimulus will be affected because I didn’t receive my 2019 refund yet. 

DMarkM1

Be patient while your 2019 return processes.  Once processed the 2019 return will be used to calculate distribute your stimulus payment.  

My 2019 is still processing. They sent me a letter in Feb stating they holding my 2019 refund because my 2014 taxes were never filed and will release refund once liability for 2014 is determined. I filed this right away (paper filing). IRS stated they received it last month and to check back in 4 weeks. But now IRS isnt working at full capacity and prior year paper returns will be even more delayed.  Now here my question since my 2019 is stuck on processing stage or on hold until my 2014 taxes are completed. Do they wait for 2019 to be completed or will they move onto my 2018 return?

My 2019 is still processing. They sent me a letter in Feb stating they holding my 2019 refund because my 2014 taxes were never filed and will release refund once liability for 2014 is determined. I filed this right away (paper filing). IRS stated they received it last month and to check back in 4 weeks. But now IRS isnt working at full capacity and prior year paper returns will be even more delayed.  Now here my question since my 2019 is stuck on processing stage or on hold until my 2014 taxes are completed. Do they wait for 2019 to be completed or will they move onto my 2018 return? @DMarkM1 

DMark. Thank you for responding. The problem that I have is my 2018 was processed. Processed meaning I received my refund on my turbo visa prepaid debit card.  If 2018 and 2019 is considered why not just go by my 2018 return. As far as my 2019 the return was accepted 1/23/2020 I’ve been than patient. This is all really frustrating

@Speters1 

Check this website and update your bank information if necessary.  AGI is line 7 on your 2018 return and line 8B on your 2019 return.  Refund is line 21a of the 2019 tax return. and line 20a for 2018

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

please read this article - does it impact you? it could be really why you haven't seen the stimulus yet - it may not have anything to do with 2019 tax return 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/use-a-commercial-tax-preparer-your-stimulus-check-may-be-delayed.htm...

Thank you for responding! So I found out what my problem.  After submitting my SSN, DOB and address I am eligible, but because I selected to have my 2019 return deposited on the Turbo tax visa prepaid card they did not have my banking info. Also, I still haven’t received my 2019 return because the return was pulled because I claimed EIC. I also was locked out of the Get My Payment tool for so many failed attempts. I was able this time to enter my DD info, but when I submitted my 2019 AGI I typed in 123400 when I only needed to type 1234. Long story short I realized that I typed in the AGI and refund amount incorrectly. Once I corrected it went through. 

I'm concerned about that too because this is the first time ever I filed and that's the only information that the IRS has on me is my 2019 return. so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. do I click on the non-filers portal and wait for them to process this return and then it should come through. If I do that then because they are so back logged who knows if they will..