Solved: My 2016 income tax is showing as paid twice on my tax return. First when I filed the extension and again when I filed my taxes. Result is a refund due me of $26,142.

My 2016 income tax is showing as paid twice on my tax return. First when I filed the extension and again when I filed my taxes. Result is a refund due me of $26,142.

make sure the amount of tax withholding and amount paid with extension are correct before submitting your tax return.

I have already filed my return>  Need to amend but TurboTax won't let me.

Do not amend until you get the original refund since the IRS may catch your error and make the correction for you.  

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5114064">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5114064</a>

Also the ONLINE version is now closed for efiling and you may not be able to use it to amend the return until December when the amendment program is available.  If you need to amend sooner then you will need to download the program so make sure to save a PDF & the .tax2016 file of the return now so you will have them during the black out period.

If you made such an entry error, it is most likely the IRS will recognize it and correct your return for you . Just relax and wait to see what happens.