turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed form 8453 HCTC by mistake... don't qualify for it but didn't realize. My return is being suspended & was told to wait for a letter from IRS. Anyone know what to do?

I filed form 8453 Health Coverage Tax Credit with my info from my 1095-A. Not a credit I qualify for but I didn't know this upon doing my taxes. I filed and was accepted on 1/31 and had been getting the "processing" message for 21 days. I've never waited longer than a few days for approval or for longer than 14 days to get my refund direct deposited so I knew something wasn't right... I am speculating this has to do with the HCTC form that I filed in error.

I called this morning and was told my return has been suspended and is under review. The rep told me I was to wait up to 8 weeks from the date my return was accepted for a letter (basically 5 weeks from now).  Has anyone experienced this? Can IRS just fix my error or will I need to re-do/amend my entire return?

Thank You!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filed form 8453 HCTC by mistake... don't qualify for it but didn't realize. My return is being suspended & was told to wait for a letter from IRS. Anyone know what to do?

The IRS may "fix" your error or the IRS may ask you to amend your return (or anything in between).

From your point of view, you have three things to do:

1. Before you get the letter, craft a written explanation explain why you took that credit by mistake. (Note, you are not the first taxpayer to do this)

2. When you get the IRS letter, read the letter carefully and do exactly what it says - amend or not amend, send this or that form, whatever.

3. The IRS usually gives you 3 weeks or so to respond. If you can't do what they want you to do in that timeframe, respond anyway, if only to explain that you are working on it and will have what they want soon. The worst thing in the world is to ignore the IRS.

Note that the IRS may actually be writing about something else entirely. In which case, do what they want you to do as well as explain that you took the HCTC by mistake. Ask them what to do. They may tell you to amend your return, but often they fix your return for you and ask if that is OK with you (yes, more often than not you will have to send them a check, but when you pay what they want, it's all over and done with).

If the IRS just asks for corrected forms, you will go through the amendment process in TurboTax anyway, to get the corrected forms; you just won't mail the entire package, but only what the IRS asks for.

View solution in original post

42 Replies
terresa28

I did the same thang trying to figure out what I should do...have u got any updates

@terresa28 I haven't... nothing received in the mail. I called last week and the rep told me the same thing, that my return will take up to 8 weeks and if I don't receive any written correspondence in the mail then I should call them again. 8 weeks from my file/acceptance date is March 28 so I'm just going to call them again then and see. How about you?
terresa28

Still nothing they told me the same...but u I did reach out to a tax Advacate who is emailing the irs to let them know about the mistake I made...she said they should be able to fix it if not I would have to amend it..she said to give them 2 week to respond witch will be when my 8 weeks are up...I’m juz so fustrated At this point
bbs3cc

Any luck?  I'm in the same boat.

The same thing happened to me. I filed Jan 29th. And finally got a letter from them. I had to explain that it was an error and tell them to disregard the form and proceed with filing.  I just faxed them 20 minutes ago. Now they are saying it can take 6 to 8 weeks to fix it.  I did not have to do an Amendment thankfully my account was in suspension the whole time.  I am hoping they get my fax and fix it right away.

You can call the IRS or a tax advocate. The only thing they can do is write on your file that is was an error.  The tax advocate will be able to read you the letter they sent if you haven’t received it yet. Took 10 days for me to receive mine.  I wish I had more info this really sucks I hope I helped someone

And another thing it took them 2 months from when I filed just to be able to see why my taxes are being held up. Keep calling eventually you will get in contact with someone who actually does their job.

Has anyone received an update from the IRS Zoe where’s my refund website? I will be gone for a month next week and I have no one to check my mail to seewhat their next step is

I emailed them 13 days ago explaining my mistake with filing that form. And still no updates or letters in the mail. I keep hearing it can take 3-6 weeks.  It’s ridiculous. If you owe they get that money right then. A simple mistake takes months to fix.  Smh

I completely understand. I’m over here being impatient but rightfully so. I called them today. The lady said they received my fax. And in 10 days they should start working on the return. She also stated that 6 weeks is when to expect the refund. So 14MAY.. and sometime in between there they’re going to send correspondence to my house i.e we have reduced your refund to this.. blah blah. It’s infuriating

I totally just did this by accident on mine and my fiancé’s taxes.....ugh! Did anyone’s return say accepted at first by the IRS and then it sat in limbo until it finally said suspended or did it immediately say processing/suspended. His was filed 4/3/18 and says accepted by irs within a few hours. It’s been in the accepted status since.

Yes ours was accepted Jan 29 th. It took them 2 months to tells us we made the mistake. So when we finally got the letter in the mail we did what they instructed us to do. Now we are waiting on our refund so far it’s been almost 3 weeks .

Mine never said suspended I had to call 10 times before I finally spoke to someone and they told me. We never got any paper work or updates on irs app

I filed 7FEB and did the same thing. I got my IRS letter on 2APR. It’s only been 2 werks for me. But on 11APR when I called IRS the lady said 10 days from 11APR is when the paperwork I faxed to them was going to get worked on. So I’m hoping my status in WMR will change.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies