Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tonya1018

I overpaid social security in 2018 due to having 2 employers. I was already getting a refund but the additional overpayment was not added. How do I get this refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

I overpaid social security in 2018 due to having 2 employers. I was already getting a refund but the additional overpayment was not added. How do I get this refund?

Are you married?  Make sure the W2s are assigned to the same person.  The SS Max is per person.  Are you sure you had too much taken out?  Did Turbo Tax tell you it was?

If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2018 W2s  for Social Security is more than $7,960.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 Schedule 5 line 72 for it.

tonya1018

Hi. I am not married. And yes TurboTax told me it was an overpayment. It asked me if the W-2s were 2 separate employers and I answered yes. However the Federal Refund did not increase once I moved past that step. I dont want to wait until after I file to see if the form is correct. If TurboTax does not process correctly then I dont want to pay them to file. If that makes sense. Thanks for your help!

You can preview your return
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing">...>

I see the new schedule 5 goes to 1040 line 17.  Look at line 17.

Tonya, I have the same situation. My husband overpaid due to having two employers this year. Turbotax alerted me that we would be getting a refund but the federal return amount did not go up. I too would love to solve this.

It was probably already included in the refund before it told you.  Peek at the 1040.

VolvoGirl, thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Our federal refund is currently slowing as lower than my husband's social security overpayment...

That doesn’t mean anything.  You must have started with a tax due instead of a refund.  So the overpayment reduced the tax due and gave you some back.  When you enter more than 1 W2 you can end up owing.  

Maybe you were owing for something like a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty or a Penalty for not having health ins.  What lines on the 1040 don’t  you understand?
tonya1018

Hi based on what I received last year (and how I complete my W-4) there is no way mine includes the credit for SS overpayment. I always get back 1-2k or more in refund. The calculator most definitely does not include the SS overpayment refund/credit. Which is why I want to be sure TT does this correctly before I pay them to use their software.

This year with all the tax changes people are getting less back.  For one thing the withholding tables were reduced so less withholding was taken out.  As I said You can preview and peek at the 1040   <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing">...>
tonya1018

It won’t let me peek until I pay them. I tried that before I submitted the question.  After the first w-2 I was getting back over 4K. After second w-2 I was getting back 1,800. Then after answering questions for TT about SS overpayment and confirming I was eligible for refund (instead of having to go back to my employer) nothing changed. I’ve been using TT and doing my own taxes for years so I’m pretty confident in my abilities. This just doesn’t add up.

How much is the excess SS?  You don’t need to pay to preview it.  Try again.  I’ll try to get some screen shots.
tonya1018

Thanks for the tip VolvoGirl.  You were right; I was actually OWING taxes for the first time I can remember and the SS overpayment took care of those and gave me a little back.  I guess I need to pay more attention to tax laws.  I already claim 0 on my w-4.  Ridiculous how much taxes I pay and for what? A bunch of bickering adolescents.  But that's a topic for another thread.  Thanks again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies