Maryland Unemployment taxes? Do I need to amend my...

fiveologist

Maryland Unemployment taxes? Do I need to amend my return because of the new waived unemployment taxes? Or will Maryland adjust it automatically?

I had already filed my taxes before the law was passed. My return for Md has been received but not processed according to the website.
LenaH

Yes, you will have to amend your return to reflect the RELIEF Act and get a refund of any taxes paid for your unemployment compensation if you are eligible. However, the forms must first be revised by the State of Maryland. TurboTax will then update the Maryland state return in the program. 

Per the State of Maryland on 2/16/21, the Comptroller began accepting tax year 2020 returns for processing prior to the enactment of the RELIEF Act. Due to the emergency nature of this bill, both individual and business tax forms will be created or modified to account for its provisions. 

Once the forms are updated, you will be able to amend your return. 

Also, please keep in mind that the tax free unemployment waiver only appears to apply to single filers who reported under $75,000 or joint filers who reported under $100,000. 

For more information, please see the Relief Act Tax Alert

[Edited 3/7/21 l 11:55am PST]

stephenatkins0416

Is there a timeframe said by the Comptroller of Maryland on when they are going to update the forms?  No point in my filing my taxes now if they are going to update it and then ammend it.  So just wondering if there has been a time frame.

LenaH

Yes. Per the State of Maryland, the tax forms related to the RELIEF Act signed into law on February 15, 2021, will not be ready until sometime in March. 

For more information, please see Maryland RELIEF ACT

@stephenatkins0416