hellogoodbye1

Made a payment after tax year but before filing tax return - do I put it under estimated payment?

Hi - Have question that hope someone can help

I am late in filing return for tax year 2019. But I did make a payment of what I estimate the tax liability would be via irs2go around May 2020 to avoid penalty. (so just to be clear, this is not the typical estimated payment sent in with voucher)

It turns out I overpaid. In filing my return for 2019 now, do I now

1) include this as an estimated payment, and therefore my tax return would show a refund? Or

2) do I not include this, where my tax return would show a payment due, but because of payment in the IRS account already, the account would net positive and I'd be sent a refund? Or

3) does it not matter because the accounting is the same anyway?

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Income Taxes Paid, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

fanfare

it depends on what you said the payment was .

If you made a payment and selected or wrote

Form 1040 year 2019.

You don't put that on your tax return.

It is just your regular payment of what you owe.

If you made a payment with request for extension of time you itemize that amount on your return.

i