Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lwong99584

Last year .tax file from online

If i did my taxes online last year but this year bought the cd and want to transfer the files over so that I don't have to retype everything, is that possible?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
mesquitebean
Level 15

Assuming you downloaded the *.tax2015 data file OK, the best place to put it is in the default folder, which is the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.

Launch your 2016 TurboTax program.  If you recently installed it, it's a good idea to restart (reboot) your computer.  Then make sure you run the updater to check for the latest program updates.  The CD is Release 1, and the current release is like R20 or so.

Once it is updated, then start a new tax return.  When you start a new 2016 return, the program will churn a bit and search for the *.tax2015 data file.   If it finds it, it will ask you if you want to transfer it into the 2016 return.   If it doesn't find it, then you can use the "Browse" link to point TurboTax to the location of the 2015 file.  But it will usually find it, especially if it is in the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
mesquitebean
Level 15

Yes, we can tell you how.  Have you already installed your 2016 desktop software from the CD?

Was the 2015 return prepared in a Free Edition or a paid edition?   Are you able to find it online?
lwong99584

it was a paid edition, i was only able to find the pdf copy of my return
lwong99584

Yes I already installed it on my desktop
mesquitebean
Level 15

Are you able to log into your 2015 online account and see evidence of the 2015 return?    If so, there should also be a link under "Some things you can do" for "download *.tax file."
lwong99584

o great, thank you, I found it.
mesquitebean
Level 15

I'll leave you instructions on how to do the transfer into the 2016 return below.  When you download the *.tax2015 data file, it's best to place it in the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.
lwong99584

perfect! thank you so much!
mesquitebean
Level 15

Assuming you downloaded the *.tax2015 data file OK, the best place to put it is in the default folder, which is the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.

Launch your 2016 TurboTax program.  If you recently installed it, it's a good idea to restart (reboot) your computer.  Then make sure you run the updater to check for the latest program updates.  The CD is Release 1, and the current release is like R20 or so.

Once it is updated, then start a new tax return.  When you start a new 2016 return, the program will churn a bit and search for the *.tax2015 data file.   If it finds it, it will ask you if you want to transfer it into the 2016 return.   If it doesn't find it, then you can use the "Browse" link to point TurboTax to the location of the 2015 file.  But it will usually find it, especially if it is in the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v