lwong99584

Last year .tax file from online

If i did my taxes online last year but this year bought the cd and want to transfer the files over so that I don't have to retype everything, is that possible?

mesquitebean

Last year .tax file from online

Assuming you downloaded the *.tax2015 data file OK, the best place to put it is in the default folder, which is the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.

Launch your 2016 TurboTax program.  If you recently installed it, it's a good idea to restart (reboot) your computer.  Then make sure you run the updater to check for the latest program updates.  The CD is Release 1, and the current release is like R20 or so.

Once it is updated, then start a new tax return.  When you start a new 2016 return, the program will churn a bit and search for the *.tax2015 data file.   If it finds it, it will ask you if you want to transfer it into the 2016 return.   If it doesn't find it, then you can use the "Browse" link to point TurboTax to the location of the 2015 file.  But it will usually find it, especially if it is in the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.

mesquitebean

Last year .tax file from online

Yes, we can tell you how.  Have you already installed your 2016 desktop software from the CD?

Was the 2015 return prepared in a Free Edition or a paid edition?   Are you able to find it online?
lwong99584

Last year .tax file from online

it was a paid edition, i was only able to find the pdf copy of my return
lwong99584

Last year .tax file from online

Yes I already installed it on my desktop
mesquitebean

Last year .tax file from online

Are you able to log into your 2015 online account and see evidence of the 2015 return?    If so, there should also be a link under "Some things you can do" for "download *.tax file."
lwong99584

Last year .tax file from online

o great, thank you, I found it.
mesquitebean

Last year .tax file from online

I'll leave you instructions on how to do the transfer into the 2016 return below.  When you download the *.tax2015 data file, it's best to place it in the \My Documents\TurboTax folder.
lwong99584

Last year .tax file from online

perfect! thank you so much!
mesquitebean

Last year .tax file from online