turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Just received a form from my school that's a 1098-T, I already filed yesterday and it said IRS accepted my claim. How do I add the form to my taxes? Do I file separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Heather14

Just received a form from my school that's a 1098-T, I already filed yesterday and it said IRS accepted my claim. How do I add the form to my taxes? Do I file separately?

Since you have filed your return and it has been accepted, you will need to amend your return to include the Form 1098-T. 

Please note that you can not e-file an amended return as this cannot be filed electronically.  The form is only filed on paper, so it will need to be printed and filed by mail. 

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your 2017 tax return in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

If you qualify as a dependent on your parent's return, they would report the 1098-T on their tax return, unless the scholarships/grants exceed the qualified education expenses, then the you will report the 1098-T and all other educational expenses and scholarships/grants on the your tax return. If the you are required to file a return to for any reason, and qualify to be claimed as dependent on your parent's  return, then you will need to indicate on your tax return, that you can be claimed by someone else.  You can see the following link for more information:

TurboTax Guide to Form 1098-T

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies