turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fatherkardo17
Returning Member

Just filed but got 1099r in mail now what?

Hello my boyfriend filed his taxes on the 16th. Simple return with one job and four dependents. However today he received a 1099r in the mail from some money he got after his mom passed away. Should he wait until he gets his refund to amend or will they hold his refund until he does it? I’m getting a lot mixed answers and we just wanna do what’s best. He shouldn’t owe any money he should get more because of the 1099.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Fatherkardo17
Returning Member

Great thank you for a fast response! So his original return will not be held or delayed? 

No predictions about what the IRS will do--ever.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Fatherkardo17
Returning Member

Will they inform us if they need anything or need us to do anything? Should we call to find out once they open ? 

I get 1099’s all the time for misc things and I have never filed them with the IRS.Going on 25 years IRS is busy and it’s easily overlooked unless your looking at a 1099 for 50k or something then yea maybe you better pay just in case you get caught.Anything 10k hell no im not voluntarily giving you some money.Cone and get me!!!Hopefully this illegal advise helps

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies